Sunday 23 March 2014

Dish 12: Popcorn Chicken with Lime Mayo



The dish


If you are a normal human being, you probably sometimes have those "I need to have some fried right now" cravings.

This dish, Popcorn Chicken with Lime Mayo (p. 106) is the perfect solution to that. Want to eat chicken fillet but are sick of preparing it the same way you always do? Fry it, Andy says. And whenever Andy says something, we listen. (Except when he says, "gracias seƱoritas".)

The preparation


As you may have understood from its name, this dish has two components. One the one hand, we have our fried chicken, and on the other hand the lime mayo.

Let's start with the mayo, as once you've prepared this, you've got your hands free to get down and dirty with the chicken.


There. That's that done. Andy wants you to use Kewpie Mayo, but I don't think they sell that in the Netherlands, so I just used your ordinary every day mayonnaise. Add some lime juice and lime zest (see? told you he likes citrus) and mix it all together. Put it in the fridge while you work on the chicken, and send your best friend out to get some fries from the local cafeteria (the irony is not lost on me).

Fact is, I don't own a deep fryer and unless I inherit one or get one as a gift, I don't think I ever will own one. Frying stuff makes your house stink. Maybe if at some point I have a garage or barn or some kind of creepy filled-to-the-brim-with-spiders shed I will fry stuff there.

For now, I will suffer through the recipes that require deep frying, and once the weather allows, I will open up all windows when doing so.

But anyway, you get your chicken and you chop it into the most evenly sized cubes you can master.


I know. I'm kind of impressed, myself. 

Kiddink, kiddink.

But yes, you then get your conveyor belt style line-up ready:
1) a bowl with flour
2) a bowl with egg and milk
3) a bowl with breadcrumbs

Get this show on the road. After a while, you will end up with your chicken looking somewhat like this:


Brilliant! In the meantime you should have already got your sunflower oil going, so it's time to check the temperature. 

Get the oil up to 180 degrees Celsius and drop in some of your chicken pieces. I used a skimmer, because I wouldn't like getting hot oil splattered all over me. Naturally it depends on the size of the frying pan you use how many pieces you put in there together.

These little buggers brown up quickly, but don't pull them out until you've counted to 120 (or set a timer, what you will), because we don't want to give anyone salmonella. 


Don't they look delicious? It takes some time, and if you're on your own I'm not quite sure it's worth going through the trouble. On the other hand, if you want to satisfy your need for something fried, this isn't the worst thing you could do.

The result


Add two and two together, and you end up with a crunchy but tender bite of chicken, coated in fresh lime mayo. 


And my best friend's verdict? "De-li-cious."

I think that says it all.

Next time


Time to get back into the groove with a proper full fledged dinner dish: Indian Lamb Curry (p. 46). I would love for you to join me on this ride.

See you at our next elemental meal!

1 comment: